RAW Food for Truth Living foods lifestyle. Nutritious, raw, vegan recipes. Meals & tips for natural healing. Allergen-free, organic dishes. Courses you can prepare in no time. Meal-planning for those "on a budget". Discovering wild edibles. Eco-friendly, conscious, healthy living. . . . at home, in the office, and on the road.

Pre-Flight Checklist and Last Minute Snacks

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

How does a raw foodie travel? Good question! I have a lot of experience traveling as a vegan macrobiotic but this will be the first time I’m leaving the country as a raw vegan! For over a decade my suitcase has been half full of my specialty foods…I always thought, better to be safe than sorry! But the truth is, the last couple of times I didn’t even have to reach for my food stash. Have you noticed how health conscious the world’s becoming? Wherever I go there are more and more vegetarian and vegan restaurants and it doesn’t stop there. I’ve already researched the availability of raw restaurants in some of the places I’m about to visit and there’s not a single town that doesn’t have an organic market and/or an organic raw restaurant! Does this mean I’m skipping the food pack this time? Absolutely not! Here’s what I’ve put together for “Just in case” and we’ll see what happens. : )

I’m taking along:
Raw granola
Brazil nut protein
Hemp seeds
Chia seeds
Spirulina
Maca
Cinnamon
Himalayan salt
Kelp
Coconut oil
Coconut butter
Cacao butter
Pecan butter
Tahini

I would really love to hear what you’re taking along when you travel so please let me know!

I still had lots of fruit sand veggies to use up before leaving and the easiest way was to come up with blended combinations. Raw foodies are pretty famous for blending so much of their food but I hardly ever do more than a blended breakfast. The other day I meant to make a smoothie but ended up with a pudding. It was so delicious that I made it again and named it tropical superfood…



Tropical Superfood Pudding
(Serves 1 for a meal or 4 for a snack. Makes 4 cups)
Blend the following ingredients till smooth and creamy:
1 large mango
1 kiwi
2 large bananas
2-3 brazil nuts
1 tbsp ground flax seeds
1 tbsp hemp protein
1 tbsp hemp seeds
½ tsp maca
¼ tsp spirulina
½-1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
¾ -1 cup water*

* if you put too much you’ll end up with a drink, which is fine too, it makes a delicious smoothie













Next up I have one of my old favorites.

Carrot-Apple-Ginger Juice
I just love this combo! As a matter of fact, it used to be my favorite juice but today I found it too sweet probably because I’ve been living on fruit and juices…kind of tired of it, to be honest. Anyway, if you have a sweet tooth and enjoy spicy stuff you’ll love this!
Juice some carrots, apple and a piece of ginger. The exact amounts I used for just this small glass were:
6 medium carrots
1 medium apple
smaller than an inch piece of ginger

Aahhh so sweet and satisfying!


Health Note on Carrots
My mom had a friend who was born nearly blind. I met this person when he was in his 40’s and he hated carrot juice and carrots in general. The reason? He was fed so much of the orange roots while growing up (in hopes of improving his eyesight) that he couldn’t even look at them anymore. Guess what though! While he was never allowed to get a driver’s license, he was a fully functioning man who didn’t rely on anyone and he had the thickest glasses I’ve ever seen in my life but he could SEE!!!
So eat/drink your carrots!

I’m leaving you with some pix I took the other day at the Santa Monica beach….I love seagulls : )




Ready for takeoff…
My next post will be from Barcelona! I’m so excited to see my sister!


No comments :

Post a Comment